Home Badge Home team Score Away team Away Badge

Sharlston Rovers


Dewsbury Moor

Tries : Ben Grundy x2, Karl Wallis, Sean Emblem, Gareth Davies x2, Andy Booth, Lee Maskill, Craig Miles
Goals : Tommy Malyan 7
  • Yorkshire Cup Quarter Final
  • Saturday 31st October 2009
  • Ground : Back ot Wall
  • Ref : Les Holland

Rovers sail into Sharks semi

Jones covers in defence © CST Photography

Jones covers in defence © CST Photography

Sharlston Rovers 50 (34)
Dewsbury Moor 0

Yorkshire Cup Quarter Final

Current Holders Sharlston Rovers made another step closer to retaining the trophy with a comfortable home victory over Dewsbury Moor into the semi final where a tough trip to Hull based Norland Sharks is all that stands in the way of a final appearance.

Over the last few weeks Rovers have taken some time to get into their stride but in this game they started as they meant to go on. Racing out of the blocks in the opening minutes with center Ben Grundy rip roaring down the touch, Tommy Malyan adding the first of his 7 eventual conversions from the touchline.

With only 15 minutes played Rovers raced into an 18 nil lead with giant prop Karl Wallis reaching out from a smothering of Moor defenders to score his debut Rovers try. Rovers forwards Bingham, Hall and Emblem were making massive gains which gave their backs space to work, Adam Jones putting in a smart kick for Emblem to pounce on.

Moor had a spell with the ball trying to get back in the game but a solid sliding defence never looked like being breached as Rovers forced several errors to get the ball back.

Ten minutes before the interval Sharlston enjoyed a purple patch that saw their lead widen as Grundy went in for his brace, Miles unleashing the strong running center down the line.

Opposite center Gareth Davies got in on the act scoring a try only he could, cutting back infield from the half way and beating almost all the team with his pace and strength.

On the stroke on the halftime veteran prop Andy Booth boosted his seasonís already impressive tally with a score from close range to take a 34 nil lead into the break.

With the result in the bag Rovers coasted through the second half with Dewsbury Moor rarely looking to take the hosts clean sheet although prop Adrian Moore tried his best to get his side on the scoreboard.

The introduction of Keith Brook off the bench sparked Rovers first try with a storming run from his own half before supply Grundy who drew the defence and passed inside to Lee Maskill to score under the sticks for the try of the match.

On the hour mark Gareth Davies went in for his brace with a well taken try racing down the blindside and turning the Moor defender inside out.

To close the quarter final romp captain Craige Miles got on the end of bamboozling play as several dummy runners attacked the line and Miles used his strength to steam roller the last defender, and Malyan added the goal to bring up the half centenary

Hooker Carl Saville rounded off a joyous weekend after becoming father to Archie Saville early Friday morning with the Kenmar Camping man-of-the-match accolade.

Rovers will travel to Norland Sharks who won their Hull derby versus Orchard Park on Saturday 14th November for the semi final clash and if they are successful will play the winners of Hunslet Old Boys (who knocked on Queens) and Wibsey Warriors in the festive final.

This weekend Rovers are keen to make up ground on Siddal A at the top of the league table as they make the journey to New Earswick All Blacks (York) 2pm kick off. A supporters bus is available on a first come first served basis leaving the Sharlston HQ at 11.30am prompt.