Rovers blitz Methley in Yorkshire Cup opener

Sharlston Rovers A .. 60
Methley Royals.. 0

BARLA Yorkshire Cup

Rovers brushed aside an understrength Methley Royals outfit with an 11 try blitz as they continued their recent good form in this 1st round Yorkshire cup tie.

The home side started well and only desperate scrambling defence prevented Jorge Richardson from scoring after 3 minutes. Ronan Dixon latched onto Adam jones neat pass to burst through and open Rovers account after 6 minutes, Richardson converting. The same two players combined on 10 minutes with this time Jones crashing over, Richardson again converting. A kick and chase saw Richard Foster and Carl Rasool both competing for the same ball with neither able to touch down on 15 minutes, 2 minutes later Rasool finished a fine flowing move to score an excellent try in the corner, Richardson tagging on the touchline effort. Rovers defence was in no mood to let the visitors have any kind of chance and the home line was never threatened during the opening quarter.

A well worked scrum move saw Liam Kendall crash over for another Richardson converted effort on 22 minutes with the game now effectively over as a contest at this stage.

Josh Field was next to cross after 26 minutes with a strong surging run from 30 yards out Richardson improving the score. Sam Hawkins outrageous dummy left the defence flat footed and he waltzed over for a score on 31 minutes too far out for Kendall to add the extras.

Rovers completed the 1st half scoring with another fine try for Rasool after a good cut out pass from Jones, again no conversion.

Rovers carried on where they left off opening their 2nd half account with a fine try for Gary Shillaber after 42 minutes, Mathew Lingard converting from far out. Excellent defensive work from Chris Shaw and Foster forced a drop out and Phil Golec was unlucky not to add to the days tally from the restart.

Jones was rewarded for an excellent display with his 2nd score, a fine solo try on 48 minutes, Lingard again converting from a difficult angle. Stephen Garfitt then crossed but the effort was ruled out for an infringement in the build up to what would have been a good try.

Methley then had a good spell keeping the home side in their own half and tightened their defence, this coupled with Rovers over playing saw no points scored until the 69th minute when Hawkins crashed over for his 2nd after some great work from Martyn Nicol and Simon Reville, no conversion this time.

Rovers wrapped up the days scoring on 75 minutes when Ashley Smith finished a fine move to score, Mathew Lingard tagging on the extras once again.

Rovers will be rightly pleased with this result and bar a spell where they lost concentration in the middle of the 2nd half played some excellent rugby throughout; the 1st half effort was very impressive.

Rovers reward is another home tie v old rivals West Leeds to be played 7th November 2-00pm kick off.

Methley whilst well beaten on the day showed plenty of spirit and will be able to recover from this setback.

Best for the Rovers side were Jones, Dixon and Smith with Liam Kendall taking the Motor City Motorists centre sponsored man of the match award for an excellent effort on the day.

Next match is again at home v Lindley Swifts in the Pennine Presidents trophy 1st round, 2-00pm kick off.